Thursday, November 19, 2009

Super-Simple Handmade Hand Soaps


This is my third contribution to "A Handmade Christmas" over at Abbi's blog, Proverbs 31 Living http://www.proverbs31living.blogspot.com/. Today I am sharing a very simple scented handsoap recipe. Besides the fact that it is so easy to make, I like this soap because it uses gentle, natural ingredients and is easily customized to suit the personality of the recipient--color or shape of the bottle, scent, etc...

Here is a list of things you will need to make this soap:


8 oz. soap dispensing bottle ( I have found some really nice ones at Bed Bath and Beyond)

7 oz. liquid castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Formula, since it's not scented)

4-5 drops essential oil of your choice, depending on how strong you want the scent

decoratives of your choice--find them in craft stores. Examples are small plastic flowers, sports balls, snowflakes, etc... This is a great way to really personalize the soaps!


Fill soap dispensers with decoratives first; add soap and then the essential oils. Replace cap and shake well to mix. It's that easy!!


Here are some ideas I have used in the past:


For my oldest son and nephew, both 5 years old: Tinted the soap blue with 1 drop of blue food coloring (any more would probably make for blue hands!), added assorted sports balls mini-decoratives, and didn't add any scent.


For the guest bathroom: Made a Christmas soap to put out during the holidays using plastic snowflake mini-decoratives, a pinch of white glitter and cinnamon and vanilla essential oils.


For my niece, 3 years old: Tinted water pink with a bit of red food coloring, added a pinch of gold glitter and heart-shaped mini-decoratives. Used a clear plastic soap dispenser and afixed a Barbie princess cling to the outside of the bottle.


I hope you will join me in having a handmade Christmas this year! Aren't these personalized gifts so much more fun to create?


2 comments:

  1. Those do sound like fun to put together! I love practical ideas like that.

    Thanks for linking up to A Handmade Christmas again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timing of this post is perfect! I was just looking at my bottle of rapidly dwindling hand soap and thinking I needed to figure out a way to make liquid hand soap. I've got a bunch of Dr. Brommer's castile soap on hand, so guess what I'll be doing soon?

    ReplyDelete